A number of new facts came out of the final talk I attended on the day, Mickey Williams' discussion of ASP.NET 2.0 custom controls. These key facts for me were:
- Embedded resources can be used in 2.0 controls (i.e. graphics)
- ControlState can be used for critical data rather than ViewState. ControlState can't be turned off (be sure to use this for good and not for evil)
- SmartTags can be easily created to expose the most common elements of a control to the page developer for easy modification and configuration
- Controls can now inherit from CompositeControl or CompositeDataBoundControl
- Mickey highly reccomends Reflector as a class browser, explorer, analyzer and documentation viewer for .NET
I'm sure the slide-decks and samples will be posted soon.